Icon – Caries Infiltrant smooth surface
- Gentle method for counteracting cariogenic white spots – with an esthetic side effect
- No unnecessary loss of healthy hard tissue
- User-friendly and patient-friendly application process in only one sitting
Indications: One method – many possibilities
Icon smooth surface is used to treat white spots in vestibular areas.
The principle is: Air and water entrapments in the tooth have a lower refractive index than intact tooth structure.
This leads to unesthetic discolorations. Icon balances out this difference and the appearance blends in with the healthy enamel.
Step by Step
Vestibular treatment: Icon and white spots
Tips from the practice
1. Re-etching »older« inactive white spots
- You can etch multiple times if there is a very thick pseudo-intact surface layer.
- If the white discoloration disappears within a few seconds when ethanol (Icon-Dry) is applied, then it is sufficiently etched.
- If the opaque discoloration remains, then the etching process should be repeated.
- Up to three etching steps for two minutes per lesion are possible.
2. Before/after documentation
- Optimize your patient communication process by taking before and after pictures.
- These photos give your patients definitive proof about the success of the treatment.
3. Fluorosis and other white spots
- Even non-cariogenic enamel changes can be treated with Icon.
- Experiences in practice show: Patients with fluorosis can be successfully treated, where it has proved useful to repeat the etching steps multiple times. Awaiting confirmation from clinical studies.
- Enamel changes caused by trauma have been successfully treated. Awaiting confirmation from clinical studies.